Real Utilities is a wholly owned subsidiary of Frasers Property Australia (FPA), one of Australia’s leading diversified property groups with over 700 staff and operations across Australia. Real Utilities is an authorised energy retailer currently operating in New South Wales, shortly to begin operation in Victoria and Queensland. Real Utilities has been established to own and operate embedded energy networks and generation assets within their buildings and communities.
“We want our customers to benefit from the use of carbon neutral energy and have progressed our business in this way such that our customers have no hoops to jump through in order to receive it.”
Type of certification
Product. Real Utilities sold energy forms the basis of its Climate Active Carbon Neutral certification. This surrounds actual consumption data from those sites we are operating, alongside forecast data for the coming 12 months, by state (New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland).
How long have you been certified carbon neutral?
Real Utilities has been certified since 2017.
Why are you carbon neutral?
We want our customers to benefit from the use of carbon neutral energy and have progressed our business in this way such that our customers have no hoops to jump through in order to receive it. Our drivers are completely aligned with FPA’s A Different Way strategy, of which a key goal is to ‘make clean energy accessible for all’.
Real Utilities is driving towards having all energy supplied by 2023 to be 100% renewable, and is a driving force behind FPA’s move to zero gas in development by 2025.
What are the benefits of your carbon neutral certification?
Real Utilities has experienced a range of benefits from our carbon neutral certification including:
- enhanced corporate social responsibility;
- internal carbon management expertise leading to energy and cost savings;
- increased customer recognition.
What offset projects do you support?
- CECIC Urumqi Tuoli Phase 1 wind farm (China)
- Siam biomass project (Thailand)
- Maharashtra wind power project (India)
- Protection of a Tasmanian forest (Australia)
- Drysdale landfill gas project ACCUs (Australia)
Why did you choose these projects?
As a subsidiary of FPA, Real Utilities seeks to buy offsets from projects that align with FPA’s sustainability strategy A Different Way, particularly the target to ‘make clean energy accessible for all’. In addition, projects are selected that support the countries that Frasers Centrepoint Limited, Frasers Property’s parent company, operate in.
How can the community support you?
Feedback from our residential customers is that they really appreciate the inclusion of offsets, at no additional cost to them. Many have commented that by us taking the initiative we have made selecting Real Utilities as their retailer significantly easier.
What else are you doing to reduce emissions?
Our emission reduction initiatives include:
- educating and engaging our employees to encourage them to reduce their environmental impacts at work and at home;
- educating our site staff in sustainable construction management, in line with Green Star Design & As Built and Green Star Innovation credits;
- improved NABERS energy tenancy and base building rates;
- purchasing 100% Greenpower for our two largest offices and offset one office, as well as 20% on industrial sites;
- combining our two Melbourne offices into one, thereby reducing electricity including base building electricity;
- reducing the number of cars in our fleet;
- purchasing carbon neutral office paper.
What advice would you give to a business considering certification?
It’s easier and cheaper than you think. Don’t be afraid to talk to your own customers and partners and see if they want to get involved – that’s where we’ve had the biggest wins, when we’ve worked collaboratively.