Southern Phone Company Limited is one of the largest providers of fixed line, mobile and internet communications services in regional Australia.
Formed in 2002, our vision was to deliver more affordable telecommunications services to regional communities and to share our success with them. In December 2019, Southern Phone was acquired by AGL and is a 100% owned subsidiary of AGL Energy Limited.
We serve a residential and business customer base across all of Australia and we have created more than 250 jobs across our Moruya, Bendigo and Melbourne offices.
“Southern Phone, as a subsidiary of AGL Energy Limited, believes in order to make real progress towards a cleaner and sustainable future, we need to invest in offset projects that not only positively impact climate change, but that offer economic, environmental or social co-benefits as well.”
Type of certification
How long have you been certified carbon neutral?
Southern Phone achieved Climate Active product certification on its home phone, mobile and nbnTM plans and products in 2021.
Why did you choose to go carbon neutral?
We know that our customers care about shaping a more sustainable future and we do too. That’s why Southern Phone now includes Climate Active carbon neutral certification on our home phone, mobile and nbnTM plans and products at no additional cost to our customers.
What are the anticipated benefits of your carbon neutral certification?
We're proud to be a part of the Climate Active network and to offer our customers the option of certified carbon neutral products.
Through our Climate Active certification, we’re able to make it easier for consumers to identify and choose certified telecommunications products that are making a difference.
What offset projects do you support?
A cook stove project in Kenya, a habitat protection project in Western Australia, and ceramic water purifier project in Cambodia.
Why did you choose these projects?
Not all carbon offset units are created equal. There’s a wide range of carbon offsets that differ in source, methodology, and price. We undertake a rigorous selection process when it comes to the carbon offsets we purchase. The eligible carbon offsets we buy meet the Carbon Neutral Standard integrity requirements set by Climate Active.
We have purchased carbon offset units from eligible projects, including Australian Carbon Credit Units (ACCUs) and Gold Standard Verified Emissions Reductions (GSVERs) as part of our initial pre-purchase obligations.
- We chose the cook stove project in Kenya because we believe in supporting projects that provide additional benefits to communities and to help preserve the world around us for future generations. We believe our customers want to help make a difference on climate change and a sustainable future for communities locally, but also globally.
- We chose the habitat protection project in WA as planting millions of native trees to remove carbon emissions from the atmosphere is easy for our customers and communities to relate to, particularly in a state hard-hit by drought and bushfires.
- We chose the ceramic water purifiers project in Cambodia due to the health, environmental and social benefits. Directly addressing several of the United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), the project seeks to ensure all families in rural Cambodia have access to safe, clean drinking water, while also improving air pollution, reducing child mortality, improving maternal health, combating disease, and ensuring environmental sustainability.
How can customers support you?
Offering carbon neutral products to our customers is one of five commitments under our parent company, AGL’s Climate Statement and is one of the key ways we are managing the energy transition responsibly. Our Climate Statement confirms AGL’s target of net zero emissions by 2050 and recognises three major forces driving Australia’s energy transition: customer demand, how communities act, and how technology evolves.
As we work towards our target of net zero emissions by 2050, our customers are playing an integral role in helping drive the energy transition as they make proactive choices to reduce their personal environmental impact.
Customers can show their support by signing up to Southern Phone’s home phone, mobile and nbnTM plans and products which are carbon neutral certified by Climate Active at no additional cost to our customers.
When they do, they’re helping to support offset projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and, in some cases, also provide economic, social and environmental benefits to communities in Australia and around the world.
What else are you doing to reduce emissions?
In June 2020, our parent company, AGL Energy Limited released its updated Climate Statement. This Statement recognises that AGL cannot predict how the energy and political landscape may change, but that the forces of customer demand, how communities act, and how technology evolves will be the determining factors in the pace of energy transition in Australia.
The Climate Statement includes AGL's target to achieve net zero emissions by 2050 and outlines the next steps in AGL's decarbonisation journey, including commitments to:
- offer customers the option of carbon neutral products across all AGL products;
- support the evolution of Australia's voluntary carbon markets;
- continue to invest in new sources of electricity supply;
- responsibly transition AGL's energy portfolio; and
- be transparent.
What advice would you give to a business considering certification?
Take the time to understand your customers and make sure you develop a product that meets their needs.