Walker Wayland NSW
Walker Wayland NSW and Walker Wayland Services Pty Ltd (collectively known as Walker Wayland NSW) is a full service accounting firm which specialises in accounting, tax, audit, technology and advisory services to privately owned businesses and small to medium sized businesses. We are a firm of five partners and more than 50 staff. We are small enough to be personal, yet large enough to deliver national and international solutions for our clients.
“Certification increases your focus on opportunities for further action. It allows you to control and demonstrate your environmental and social conscious.”
Type of certification
How long have you been certified carbon neutral?
Since October 2020.
Why did you choose to go carbon neutral?
We understand the importance of environmental and social responsibility to our business community, our people, future generations, and of course the environment and eco system we all live in. The sustainability of our operations will assist with our growth and development to allow a more balanced business model that represents the standing of our business now and into the future. This will communicate, in part, our position on this matter as a business.
What are the anticipated benefits of your carbon neutral certification?
We expect to be able to expand our clientele by engaging with businesses and business owners who are seeking to incorporate their environmental responsibilities in their business operations. We see climate change as a focus for large corporates and governments over the next 10-15 years and we feel our commitment to this space will enhance our engagement with the SME market and our staff demographic.
What offset projects do you support?
A wind power project in Rajasthan.
Why did you choose this project?
As it is our first year of attempting to achieve carbon neutral status, we felt it was appropriate to select a region that had cost effective credits using an environmentally friendly carbon credit source, that being wind farms.
How can the community/consumers support you?
Incorporate aspects of environmental and social responsibilities within the framework of their daily lives and in the operations of their business or work activities.
What else are you doing to reduce emissions?
We have carried out a staff training seminar on carbon neutrality so that staff at all levels of the business understand the process of becoming carbon neutral.
We have made several changes within our business practices to make our operations more sustainable:
- we have implemented a waste recycling program, which includes recycling bins being located at various points throughout the office floor
- we have invested in state-of-the-art video technology to encourage more video conferences to reduce the need for airline travel
- we have initiated a policy of ensuring all printed documents are double sided to reduce paper usage
- we have initiated a program over the past five years to move towards a paperless office which has meant additional investment in Cloud Based Technologies to reduce paper usage, reduce computer hardware needs, and make remote working more effective
- we actively encourage staff to adopt more sustainable approaches, for example through the provision of keep cups for takeaway beverages, and recycling used coffee pods
- we have commenced a program whereby several staff are seconded to environmentally friendly not for profit organisations (on a periodic basis) that carries out sustainable activities.
What has been the impact of your action?
Since 2017, Walker Wayland NSW has reduced our total emissions by more than half. This has been through a range of initiatives such as:
- promoting the use of virtual meetings to reduce business travel activities
- promoting a paperless office environment reducing our paper consumption and printing
- providing flexible working arrangements which reduce emissions associated with employee commute.
What advice would you give to a business considering certification?
The journey of becoming carbon neutral is a long term strategy that will drive growth, development, profitability, staff and client engagement and retention for your business for many more decades to come. It recognises future responsibility and expectations for your staff and your clients. The enhancements and changes to processes and procedures will result in environmental cost savings. Certification will increase your focus on opportunities for further action and allow you to control and demonstrate your environmental and social conscious, before government direction.